Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Words and Pictures

I could probably spend an hour detailing stories of my experience playing Words with Friends. It's a very polarizing trip: either I feel ecstatic because I just scored 30 points for a two letter "word" (xi is by definition a Greek letter, which to me doesn't mean it's a word) or I feel like I should cheat just to have a chance to catch up to the score my opponent has garnered. Recently, I lost 400 something to my mere 260. I guess sometimes I don't try to rack up a huge score on my turn, I try to play the coolest word. Like Rhino, which is only 8 points, but getting it all to fall in place is difficult. Especially given how I seem to have a problem obtaining vowels. I've had to play multiple turns where I didn't have any vowels to play, and strangely when that happens they also like to give me letters that are difficult to use without vowels, v. I'm not sure what to do with two v's and no vowels, and I'm too proud to swap tiles, so I just spell out simple words like to just to get some points that turn. Again, I could go on and on about this but it's a fairly boring topic. But if you ever feel stressed about school or whatever, just play me in a game of Words with Friends. It's a guaranteed confidence boost (for you at least.)

Lately, I've discovered there are plenty of times were I will be sitting around with nothing to do. Well, I mean I have homework but I'm not doing it. Rather than spend twenty minutes on Facebook when that happens, I've decided to try to teach myself how to draw. Which is similar to my continued attempts to teach myself guitar, in that it would work so much better with an actual tutor and I highly doubt I'll ever go anywhere with it. Or maybe I'm wrong this time. Perhaps the spirit of Andy Warhol is buried deep within me, waiting to be giving a pencil and paper and time to craft a masterpiece. Cause really, how hard is it to draw cans of soup? Just to get myself use to the concept of actual drawing and sketching, I think I will stick to drawing that which has already been drawn. For instance, there is an Angry Birds bookmark sitting in front of me, squawking at me, and I may just practice drawing a few birds and pigs. They look simple enough. At the very least, it'll give me something to do and will exercise different parts of my brain that have gotten rusty. Maybe I'll imitate some cartoonists drawings, but I think that I'll stay away from people for now. Baby steps, and any other cliche metaphor thats appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment